Thursday, June 11, 2009


Downtown BA at night!





A nighttime Buenos Aires Milonga, or nightclub specifically for tango music and dancing with a live band and a performance. The band was at least nine strong with FOUR accordian players, and the overall musicians/ music/ performance couple made a performance that was about as intense as any other genre of music could possibly invoke.




This was my first milonga after two classes here and one at home in New York, and I'd say it went pretty well! Other than the fantastic ambience, I got some good dancing practice in with my snazzy new tango shoes. Luckily my stars aligned: I met Aljosha, a guy from Berlin here in BA specifically to learn tango, and he showed me where he takes lessons. Then I met him to go to a milonga: he had already done all of the scouting out, so the worst work has all been done for me. From there I met his tango friend and she danced with me a good portion of the night, giving me great practice (later I found out she gives tango lessons and I got all of that for free--no wonder she knew so well how to lead!)

1 comment:

John Leschak said...

Hey Alex! Are you celebrating Che Guevara's birthday today? Che was born on June 14 in Rosario, Argentina. Viva la revolucion!


“If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.” - Che