Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hola Buenos Aires!

Five day in Buenos Aires already! I have taken no pictures. Now that I am in the same place for a while, I am going to take it in a bit differently. BA is certainly an interesting city; I am quickly becoming accustomed to it. It is far less of a stretch from the ordinary for me than some of my last travels, so when taking everything in I need to remember to keep my eyes open extra wide for every small cultural nuance.

Already I have had an interesting experience; not your typical first week alone in a new country. I have "surfed" the couch of about four different "friends" (they become friends sometime between your introducing yourself and your sleeping on their couch) and have met many more. I have bicycled around Buenos Aires, I have gone to a birthday party and experienced an Argentine asado (or barbeque,) I have figured out the city bus system, and I have gotten a tour from a guide (meaning an Argentinian friend who, like all other Argentinians, has studying Argentina´s history and can both accompany me as a friend and be my guide.) I have drank hot chocolate and eaten churros in Cafe Tortoni (the most quintessential tourist thing to do in Buenos Aires,) I have been fed typical Argentine meat by various affectionados, and I have cooked vegetarian food already for several different carnivorous friends. Not bad for the first five days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alex,
What a great experience you are having. Wish I were there, or, er, I wish I had the balls to be there. Take care.
Aunt Elizabeth