Saturday, April 19, 2008





High above Oaxacan Valley, Monte Alban was at one time the capital of the Zapotec empire. Putting them closer to the gods, the Zapotecs sheered off the top of a mountain to layout this collection of places of worship, providing a stunning view of ALL of the surrounding valley as well as a feeling of seclusion and safety. It’s history has five periods, the first beginning 500 BC and ending with the Spanish conquest in the 16th century. Monte Alban's expansiveness is incredible. How do they raze a mountain and get it so flat??
There was a beautiful family sitting on some steps (because everything pretty much was steps): a particularly beautiful image. I looked over at them and smiled. They smiled, too. Several minutes later the woman and her husband came to me and asked if they could get a picture of me with their two smallest kids. They were a large family with two young ones, a girl of about four and a boy of about three. Both were gorgeous with such pure eyes and complexions; in fact, their entire family was. I was smiling so big in the picture; they were probably so embarrassed to ask, but I was tickled pink that they had. I must be the perfect gringa American tourist. Afterwards, I went and spoke with them and got a family picture: one of my most treasured Mexico possessions.

No comments: