Friday, December 12, 2008

Readjusting to US Life


It is not usually too exciting to return to the States after traveling, no matter how long we are away. At the airport everyone has the same, boring accent again and faces, dress, and the writing on signs are all too familiar. However, it seems that there is always that American character who makes me glad to be home. About the United States, I can say that many of us are extraordinarily friendly to strangers. I walked up to the customs official dragging my luggage and he beamed me a great big smile, "Good morning! How are you today?" "You weren't near Mumbai, were you?" making conversation the whole time. "Have a great day!" This uber-congenial, treat-everyone-as-a-friend American type I hope I never grow weary of.


Aside from that, there are some cultural adjustments that I still need to make.

-On the flights and in the American airports, I kept looking for a trash for my toilet paper. We have septic systems in this country, Alex.
-Once home, while brushing my teeth the first several times an internal alarm went off in my head telling me not to use the faucet but to get my filtered water. Here, Alex, they are one and the same.
-Along those lines, when I rinsed out a bowl to use, the same internal alarm told me to be sure to wipe out ALL of the water so as to prevent giardia again. No giardia here, Alex.
-Jet lag. Now that I am home, my internal clock is faulty and having trouble catching up.

No comments: